‘Our hearts ache’: California Highway Patrol officer gunned down at traffic stop

first_imgFedorovekb/iStock(RIVERSIDE, Calif.) —  The California Highway Patrol (CHP) is grieving one of its officers who was gunned down in a shootout during a traffic stop.The slain officer, Andre Moye, initiated the traffic stop during evening rush hour in Riverside on Monday and determined the suspect’s truck needed to be impounded, said Scott Parker, assistant chief of CHP Inland Division.The officer was filling out paperwork when the suspect took a rifle from his own car and shot Moye, officials said.Moye, 34, was able to request backup before being transported to the hospital, where he died, officials said.Other officers then arrived on the scene. Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco called it a “long and horrific gun battle.”The suspect also died in the shootout.Two other officers were shot and survived. One of the injured officers was listed in critical condition Tuesday morning.Moye, who served for nearly three years, is survived by his wife, parents and siblings.“Our hearts ache over the tragic loss,” California Gov. Gavin Newsom tweeted. Newsom said Moye “will be remembered for his commitment to service and the community of Riverside County.” Our hearts ache over the tragic loss of @CHP_HQ‘s own Officer Andre Moye — who will be remembered for his commitment to service and the community of Riverside County. Jen and I extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, and fellow officers who are grieving tonight.— Gavin Newsom (@GavinNewsom) August 13, 2019Moye, who served for nearly three years, is survived by his wife, parents and siblings.“Our hearts ache over the tragic loss,” California Gov. Gavin Newsom tweeted. Newsom said Moye “will be remembered for his commitment to service and the community of Riverside County.”The suspect acted alone, according to authorities. Investigators said they’re still trying to determine a motive.Moye’s slaying prompted an outpouring of condolences from law enforcement agencies.“Our hearts are broken over the tragic death of CHP Officer Andre Moye. Prayers for his family & all law enforcement,” read a tweet from the San Bernardino County Fire District. “R.I.P. brother.” Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More »

PREVIEW: Nance Jr., Clarkson return to Staples Center in Sunday night showdown

first_img John Alfes John Alfes is a senior at John Carroll University, and hails from Westlake, Ohio. His love and passion for the game of baseball originated in 1998, when he played catch with his father at the age of two. A former collegiate pitcher, Alfes currently serves as a Cleveland Cavaliers reporter for AP Radio/Metro Networks and the Cleveland Indians Beat Writer for CBS Sports/Scout Media Network, all while majoring in Communications (focus in Journalism) and English (focus in Professional Writing). He is the Sports Editor for The Carroll News, Sports Director for WJCU 88.7 FM and Senior Writer for the John Carroll Sports Information Department. John is an Eagle Scout and loves his two younger brothers (Conrad and Daniel) and two parents (John and Celeste).You can follow John Alfes on Twitter (@JohnAlfes) or reach him through email ([email protected]). CLEVELAND – Larry Nance Sr. strolled through the hallway next to the Cavs’ locker room at Quicken Loans Arena, searching for his son, Larry Jr., after the Wine and Gold topped the Lakers by nine points on Dec. 14, 2017. It was a rare opportunity for the franchise legend, as that Thursday night marked Los Angeles’ lone visit to Cleveland, and one of Nance Sr.’s few opportunities to watch his son play on the professional stage.Times have changed since then.The two organizations made a trade on Feb. 8, bringing Nance Jr. and Jordan Clarkson to Cleveland, and shipping Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye and the Cavaliers’ 2018 first-round pick to the Lakers. For the first time, the contents of the blockbuster deal will square off against their former teams.Cleveland and Los Angeles will meet for the second and final time of the 2017-18 campaign on Sunday evening at the Staples Center. While Nance Sr. lives in Ohio, he will have plenty more chances to see his son play at a closer proximity.When: 9:00 p.m. ETTV: ESPNOnline: FOX Sports GoRadio: ESPN 710 AM, ESPN Deportes 1330 AM, WTAM 1100 AM, WMMS 100.7 FM, La Mega 87.7 FM.Cavs probable starters: PG George Hill, SG J.R. Smith, SF Jeff Green, PF LeBron James, C Larry Nance Jr.Lakers probable starters: PG Lonzo Ball, SG Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, SF Kyle Kuzma, PF Julius Randle, C Brook Lopez.Cavs injuries: PF Kevin Love (left hand fracture – OUT), C Tristan Thompson (right ankle sprain – OUT), SF Cedi Osman (left hip strain – OUT), SG Rodney Hood (low back strain – OUT), SG Kyle Korver (right foot bruise – questionable).Lakers injuries: PF Channing Frye (appendectomy – OUT), SG Josh Hart (left hand/fourth metacarpal fracture – OUT), SF Brandon Ingram (left groin strain – OUT). Pages: 1 2 3 4 Related TopicsCedi OsmanChanning FryeCleveland CavaliersGeorge HillIsaiah ThomasJordan ClarksonKevin LoveKyle KorverLarry Nance Jr.Lebron JamesLonzo BallLos Angeles LakersRodney HoodTristan ThompsonTyronn Luelast_img read more

Read More »

Bancroft, Wade and Marsh named in Australia’s Ashes squad

first_img(Reuters) – Cameron Bancroft, Matthew Wade and Mitchell Marsh have earned recalls to Australia’s 17-man touring party for the Ashes series against England, while uncapped Queenslander Michael Neser is a surprise selection in the pace attack. Opener Bancroft earned a spot in the squad with an unbeaten match-winning knock of 93 on day three of the intra-squad clash in Southampton on Thursday.The 26-year-old’s return means all three players – along with Steve Smith and David Warner – who were banned after the South Africa ball-tampering scandal feature in the squad and could all lineup for the first test at Edgbaston starting on Aug. 1  p“David Warner, Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft have forced their way back in to the Test squad through the excellence of their recent performances,” Trevor Hohns, the chairman of selectors, said in a statement.“David and Steve also have the advantage of being proven players at test level while Cameron has produced impressive numbers for county side Durham this season and his innings in the intra-squad match in Southampton on a tough pitch was outstanding and showed his quality.” Wade, who last played a test in September 2017, edged out Alex Carey as the squad’s reserve wicketkeeper-batsman behind captain Tim Paine, while all-rounder Marnus Labuschagne will serve as a second spinning option alongside Nathan Lyon.“We have faith in his ability, we know our strength lies in our pace attack and we have Marnus Labuschagne’s leg-spin as another spin option as he has bowled almost 200 overs for county side Glamorgan in first-class cricket this season,” Hohns added.“Wade fully deserves his recall as he has made an irresistible case for inclusion through sheer weight of runs with 1021 first-class runs at home last summer followed by three hundreds on the Australia A tour.” Neser, the right-arm seam bowling all-rounder, is one of the seven fast-bowling options in the squad, led by world number one test bowler Pat Cummins, alongside Mitch Starc, Josh Hazlewood, James Pattinson and Peter Siddle as well as Marsh.Hazlewood returns for the first time since suffering a stress fracture of his back in January, which kept him out of contention for the World Cup squad.“We have not won an Ashes series in the United Kingdom since 2001 but we are confident that this group of players can break that cycle and ensure we retain the urn that we won at home in the summer of 2017-18,” Hohns said. The squad will travel to Birmingham on Saturday and practise at Edgbaston ahead of the first Test.Squad: Tim Paine (captain), Cameron Bancroft, Pat Cummins, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.last_img read more

Read More »