Not guilty plea in medical marijuana case

first_imgLOS ANGELES – A Valencia man who ran a West Hollywood medical marijuana storefront pleaded not guilty Monday to federal drug charges. John C. Moreaux ran West Hollywood Caregivers on Santa Monica Boulevard, a storefront raided by federal agents twice this year, in January and once in March. Sarah Pullen of the Drug Enforcement Administration said she could not divulge details on what was seized in those raids because the warrants are sealed. Moreaux, 29, is charged with conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute marijuana; possession with intent to distribute marijuana; possessing a firearm in furtherance of drug trafficking; being a felon in possession of a firearm; and maintaining a drug premises. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Prosecutors allege he kept a shotgun at the storefront, which was illegal for him to possess because he has a prior felony conviction. He was arrested last month, and has been ordered detained pending trial, which is set for Sept. 11 before U.S. District Judge A. Howard Matz. Moreaux’s attorney, William Kroger, said his client was operating within West Hollywood’s medical marijuana ordinance, including meeting monthly with city officials. “The problem is there’s a conflict between the state and federal law,” Kroger said.last_img read more

Read More »

Wisconsin Takes Down The Champs

But this wasn’t just a case of Villanova playing poorly. Wisconsin also played a great game. The Badgers had one of their best 2-point shooting performances of the season (65 percent from inside the arc), and they outworked ‘Nova on the glass as well. Just as importantly, Wisconsin held the nation’s fourth-best offense to one of its weakest games of the year, in part by taking the air out of the ball and denying opportunities to one of the nation’s top fast-break offenses.1Wisconsin wasn’t perfect — the Badgers made the upset more difficult than it had to be with 14 turnovers and some truly abysmal foul shooting.So Wisconsin was good, and Villanova bad. There was a third character in the making of this upset, however: the NCAA selection committee, which did Villanova no favors as the tournament’s No. 1 overall seed. As part of the most difficult region in the bracket, Wisconsin was an 8 seed with a KenPom.com rating similar to others seeded as high as fourth (Butler), third (Florida State) and even second (Arizona) in other regions. From the Round of 32 on, Villanova was staring down a tough slate of opponents, and that would have been true whether they held on against Wisconsin or not.Now, our model has a new favorite in the East, with a 37 percent chance of making the Final Four: Yep, it’s the No. 2-seeded Duke Blue Devils. But this might not be the last we see of the Badgers either — the model gives them the second-best odds of winning the region (in part because they’re already in the Sweet 16), with a 21 percent probability of earning the school’s third Final Four berth in four seasons.Check out our March Madness predictions. So much for one of the most uneventful NCAA tournaments ever. After a quiet first round that saw the better seed win 26 of 32 games, Villanova — the defending tourney champion — became the first No. 1 seed to fall with a 65-62 loss to Wisconsin on Saturday.The Wildcats didn’t play their best game. They shot just 41 percent from the floor with an offensive efficiency of 107 points per 100 possessions, both well below their season averages, and they allowed an extremely uncharacteristic 111 points per 100 possessions at the other end of the floor. For a team that consistently played above its averages during its championship run last season (particularly on offense), this was a callback to previous tournament disappointments by Jay Wright-led Villanova teams.VIDEO: How the Villanova and Duke losses shook the bracket read more

Read More »

PM says new CEB will help to liberalize Bahamian economy courts overseas

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#UnitedStates, December 22, 2017 – Washington, DC – The recently passed Commercial Enterprise Bill (CEB) will help to liberalize the Bahamian economy, Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert Minnis said Saturday.  (The Bill was passed in the House of Assembly on November 22, 2017 and in the Senate on December 4, 2017.)Addressing a reception for Bahamians and Friends of The Bahamas residing in Washington, D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland, including Baltimore, Prime Minister Minnis encouraged the attendees, Bahamians throughout the Diaspora, and individuals of Bahamian heritage who are not Bahamian citizens but have family ties to The Bahamas, to utilize the new CEB to invest in The Bahamas.Prime Minister Minnis arrived in the U.S. capital on Friday (December 15) accompanied by his wife Patricia and Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Hon. Darren Henfield and Mrs. Henfield.   The Prime Minister is making his first visit to the U.S. capital since being elected Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas on May 10, 2017.The Prime Minister, among other items on his schedule, courted overseas Bahamian investors; overseas investors who are Friends of The Bahamas and those of Bahamian heritage who are not Bahamian citizens, but who have family ties to The Bahamas.   The Prime Minister’s meetings with members of the Bahamian Diaspora also involved recruiting their talents, services and resources to further assist the country in areas such as youth development, volunteerism and community service.Bahamians residing in the Metropolitan Washington, Virginia and Maryland areas have served, or are serving, in an impressive array of professional capacities including areas such as medicine, academia, culture and other fields.  Many have been employed with a number of the international organizations stationed in those areas, developing expertise in a number of spheres.The Prime Minister said the new Bill allows those major businesses that do not currently exist in The Bahamas – such as aquaculture and biotechnology — to be brought into The Bahamas.“I am excited at the prospect of Bahamians as well as individuals of Bahamian heritage who are not Bahamian citizens, but who have family ties in The Bahamas, utilizing the new Commercial Bill to invest in The Bahamas,” Prime Minister Minis said.“We are committed to making The Bahamas a more fair, more just society, less burdened by violent crime and less burdened by corruption by public officials.   I invite my fellow Bahamians overseas, those of you of Bahamian heritage, and friends of The Bahamas, to consider new investment opportunities in The Bahamas in areas ranging from aquaculture to the maritime sector, to biotechnology,” Prime Minister Minnis added.Prime Minister Minnis told his guests that The Bahamas is a highly favourable investment regime.   Dr. Minnis said Administration officials are cutting the Red tape and too-often-long waiting times for international investment projects to be vetted and approved.“The Bahamian Diaspora is a major talent and investment pool that The Bahamas must tap into,” Prime Minister Minnis added.Release: BIS Related Items:last_img read more

Read More »

SDUSD hosts press conference to address plan of action and consequences of

first_img Updated: 3:53 PM SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Education and law enforcement officials pledged a collaborative effort Friday to dealing with violent threats against school campuses in San Diego County.San Diego Unified School District Superintendent Cindy Marten said the district, the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office and the San Diego Police Department are taking a three-pronged approach: Identifying students who make threats and holding them accountable; protecting students against real threats; and remaining vigilant.“Students should never be victims of violence,” Marten said. Since the Feb. 14 shooting at a Parkland, Florida high school that left 17 people dead, the district has received roughly 50 threats of violence, said SDUSD spokeswoman Maureen Magee. At one school alone, a threat caused attendance to drop 60 percent, Marten said.Mike Maquez, SDUSD police chief, said that since the 2012 Newtown, Connecticut shooting — in which 26 people were killed — the district has spent $49 million for safety features, including fencing, visitor access control and locks.Marquez said the district will also use the San Diego Police Department dispatch system for better and faster response.“School safety is a collaborative effort,” he said. “This is no time for apathy.”Marquez and others also said that parents need to talk to their children about the consequences of making threats.San Diego Police Chief David Nisleit said his department will investigate every single threat and “will arrest those if necessary.”He said that in all of 2017, there were 17 cases of suspicious activity reported to his department — but so far this year there have been 23.San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan said that in 2014, her office cultivated a group of experts to deal with threats against schools, an effort that included assessing each threat and how it should be handled. She said her office has handled 26 cases against those making threats since the start of this year alone — and 11 minors are facing a possible felony charge for doing so.Stephen said her office will also investigate whether a person making a threat has access to weapons, has mental health issues or any criminal record. SDUSD hosts press conference to address plan of action and consequences of making threats to schools Posted: March 23, 2018 Ed Lenderman, center_img March 23, 2018 Ed Lenderman Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Read More »